1. GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
1.1. Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education
Applicants to undergraduate degree programmes must be in possession of the Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education, withat leasttwo principal passes in the relevant subject combinations.
1.2. Alternative qualifications
Candidates with alternative qualifications will be considered for admission into degree and diploma programmes, on the basis of equivalences determined by the Colleges. Foreign qualifications must be evaluated by the Rwanda Education Board (REB) prior to registration.
2. MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION
The medium of instruction at the University of Rwanda is English. Applicants will be tested for proficiency in English at a period which will be determined by the University of Rwanda before the commencement of lectures. Those not meeting the requirements will have to register for and pass the English module offered by the University Language Centre. No student shall be allowed to proceed beyond the second year of study without passing the English module.
3. SUBJECT REQUIREMENTS AND LEVELS OF PERFORMANCE
Subject requirements and minimum level of performance, in terms of points in the subject combinations relevant to the programmes, are set by the different Colleges. The points are determined based on calculations of weighted points for the award of an Advanced General Certificate of Secondary Education, shown in the table below.
|Subject||Grade letter||Weighted points|
Entrepreneurship/Finance/History/Geography/English/Literature in English/French/Kinyarwanda/Kiswahili/Computer Science/
Secretarial Studies/Creative performance and Physical Education
4. GENERAL MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS INTO SPECIFIC COLLEGE PROGRAMMES
4.1 Applicants for programmes offered in the following Colleges:
- Colleges of Agriculture, Animal Sciences and Veterinary Medicine (CAVM).
must have two (2) Principal passes with at least twenty four (24) points in specified courses relevant to the programmes applied for.
4.2 In addition, all applicants must have:
- A pass in General Paper. Applicants without a pass, but meeting the minimum criteria in terms of Principal subjects passes will be admitted and required to pass a special common course offered by UR, prior to graduation.
- An English language proficiency test certificate. Applicants without proof of English proficiency will be required to register for and pass an English language module offered by the University Language Centre. The pass mark for English proficiency test is 70%